Brain Tumors/brain tumour in friend

Question
Dear Maryann,
My friend had an operation on a benign  brain tumour ,they said he would be alright but he had terrible results, He is blind Deaf and he lost his memory, and now lives his life in a hospital bed and they want to move him to elderly care facilities as they say there is nothing more they can do for him
They had assured his wife that they would be able to remove this tumour without any real problems, He is 57 years old, What could have went wrong? His wife is always at the hospital with him bit the stress is taking it's toll on her, I feel so bad for this family and I do not know what I can do to help her, Could it have been a mistake from the surgeons or is this just some terrible event that can happen to people with  brain tumours,
A friend who cares Helen

Answer
Sadly the first mistake was to say there would be no problems, when you mess with the brain there are always side effects.  Dependng on locatio of tumour there is always the possibilty of "problems"  depending on location the will leave a benign tumour, why would you mess with something that is not going to cause death. I know at least 2 people who live with benign brain tumours and function, raise families, have jobs, etc.  I am not a doctor so I can only speak from my heart, my opinion is they sould not have done the removal, but sadly whats done is done and there is no going back.  Doctors are not God and sould never make promises, or assurences.  My condolences to the family and friends involved.....people need to know that a second opinion is always an option!
maryann  

Brain Tumors

maryann carrigan