Brain Tumors/Grade 2 & 3 Astrocytoma

Question
Hi

I sister was diagnosed with a liasion in her left frontal lobe in 2001 which was unoperable due to the location. The laision did not grow for about 12 years but recently MRI in Feb and August has shown growth and doctors decided to go for biopsy. The report says it is Oligoastrocytoma grade 2 but it also says that chances of grade 3 cannot be excluded. Recommendation is for conventional radiation along with temozolomide and 5 weeks later a boost of cyberknife.
I request you to shed light on why they are terming it grade 3 and what can be done other than what is already recommended. Can we seek advise for surgery from somewhere else?

Answer
If it was inoperable then and has since grown it is probably even more so now. So I can not see any alternative to the recommended treatment. It is what I would recommend myself. Grade is DIFFICULT to evaluate that is why they write as they do. So here it is uncertain if it is grade 2 or 3 (with a worse prognosis).

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.