Brain Tumors/severe headache due to cancer

Question
my  husband's age is 40 was detected of oral cancer on the right side of his face last year.he also has dibeties.he  had 4 major chemos followed by surgery when the tumor and few lymph nodes were removed.then he underwent radiation.during the last few sessions of radiation we noticed a swelling on the other side under the ear.we had the tests done and the results were that there were no cancerous cells present but the swelling went on increasing and after 2 months now the tests are positive.now the doctor says that there are no options left.now he is on oral chemo with severe headache,pain in the jaw,and inthe sweeling, weakness. no painkilllers are working.doctor suggested morphine,but we are reluctant as we have heard that it is addictive and has bad sideeffects.is it true it is given when there is no hope of life. please suggest some treatment or any medicine that will improve his condition. please help

Answer
Yes unfortunately curative treatment options are out only palliative remain. In this situation the matter of addiction is unimportant. Other side effects can probably be controled. The important thing is that he should not suffer. So I agree that morphine could be used. I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.