Brain Tumors/Grade 4 GBM

Question
2013 MRI April
2013 MRI April  
My 61yr husband had GBM removed in May 2012.He is currently in hospital being treated for fungal pneumonia and suspected fungal meningitis and is showing signs after 3 weeks of intravenous antibiotics of some improvement.
We have been told by his onocologist that if the tumour recurs no treatment will be possible as the fungal infection will feed on the chemo.
We have had 4 MRI since surgery. The latest shows highlighted areas twice the size of the original tumour around the removal site. These were not in any of the other MRI's.  The report says that this is scarring from radiation. The radiographer did not have the previous MRI to compare with.
2 quesions;why would this scarring now show up 10 months after radiation has finished.
Could this be the tumour recurring?

Answer
Unfortunately it may be the tumour returning, but it may also be postoperative scars. They may appear late. There is no way to tell what it is at present. Only time will tell. I suppose he was also given radiation therapy and chemotherapy after his operation? If so - and especially with his ongoing fungus infection - any further treatment is unfortunately impossible.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.