Brain Tumors/Anaplastic Meningioma Grade 3

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr. My friends wife was diagnosed with an anaplastic meningioma. She has been cancer free with no growth of tumor for 28 months. She will be going for another follow up MRI next week, so we don't know if their is any recurrence as of yet. However, she went to get a mammogram and was found to have numerous amount of cyst. Doctors are performing a variety of test because they strongly believe due to her previous cancer history and how they look they believe is breast cancer, specialists are already treating it as so.....
Question: Is it possible that she can have breast cancer as a result of her diagnose of anaplastic meningioma?
If so, is this what can be expected, to get cancer on other organs in her body?
what is the prognosis now? With the anaplastic meningioma and now having a possibility of breast cancer? Is this normal to happen?
What can be her life expectancy now? She is 48 years old.
Can she make it to the 5% that survive the 5-year mark?
Please be as truthful as can be? We want to prepare ourselves.

Thank you so much.

ANSWER: I doubt very much that there is any connection between her anaplastic meningioma and what has been found in her breast. If there really is anything malignant there it is probably just a coincidence. Unfortunately it is at present impossible to predict her future with any certainty though the risks with a malignant meningioma are as you know quite big. More can not be said at the moment. Please do keep me posted!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: Thanks Doctor for your prompt response.

She has already beat the statistics and have surpassed the 18 month tumor recurrence. Do you believe the tumor will recur, still? What is her prognosis and life expectancy? For the anaplastic meningioma....Do you believe she can be one of the 5% that live after the 5 years?

Answer
It is quite possible that she belongs to the lucky few but I can not promise that. That she is still alive may indicate that but again is no guarantee. Only time will tell. More I can not say.

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.