Brain Tumors/Tectal Glioma 1

My 15 year old granddaughter has tectal glioma 1.  Three years ago she had two surgeries.  One to redirect the fluid on the brain.  A month later she had a shunt put in.  All was OK until about 2 months ago.  The tumor has now grown to 2.1 mm.  She just completed 30 radiation treatments.  What would you consider her prognosis?  She has always stayed positive and upbeat during the last 3 years.

A glioma grade 1 is a slowly growing glioma so usually the patient can live for several years. However grade can change over time to become more rapidly growing, i.e. more malignant. It is also VERY difficult to grade brain tumors with certainty. It is therefore possible that it in fact was faster growing than originally thought. That her tumor now has grown and that radiation therapy has been regarded as necessary may well indicate that it indeed is growing faster. By the way the size you mention is hardly correct. 2.1 mm is less than a tenth of an inch and would probably not be regarded as something to start radiation therapy on. Should it not be 2.1 cm - a little less than an inch (= 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm)? The fact that it has grown enough now to justify radiation therapy already 3 years after original surgery is not good news. Radiation therapy (like surgery and chemotherapy) can prolong survival but unfortunately at present not cure her. I'm sotty I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have a long time experience of these tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy, educated and trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: . I have no restrictions on the number of questions there. I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer.

Doctor of medicine, specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.