Brain Tumors/Astrocytoma in left temporal lobe

Question
Husband was dx'd 3 years ago with Astrocytoma in left temporal lobe.  He has had chemo, radiation, surgery and cyber knife.  We are at a point where they can do nothing more but keep him on the Avistan that he's been on for a year now.  Most recent MRI report says: There are several diffuse involutional changes.  Large area of edema extending into the left temporal lobe & extending toward the midline is again appreciated.  There is also edema extending a little more obviously across the midline, particularly along the right posterior corpus callosum.  Some areas of change here are cystic.  Some mild mass effect upon the left lateral ventricle.  There is significant diffuse involutional change.  No new areas of enhancement.  Marrow signal is maintiained.  What does this mean?  Dr. is very hard to follow, he talks like I have a medical degree.  I know my husband is getting worse but what does this report say?

Answer
Unfortunately it most probably measn that his tumor is coming back which also is to be expected - these tumors usually do that. That he is getting worse is also a sad reflection of these signs. I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.