Brain Tumors/Astrocytoma in left temporal lobe

Husband was dx'd 3 years ago with Astrocytoma in left temporal lobe.  He has had chemo, radiation, surgery and cyber knife.  We are at a point where they can do nothing more but keep him on the Avistan that he's been on for a year now.  Most recent MRI report says: There are several diffuse involutional changes.  Large area of edema extending into the left temporal lobe & extending toward the midline is again appreciated.  There is also edema extending a little more obviously across the midline, particularly along the right posterior corpus callosum.  Some areas of change here are cystic.  Some mild mass effect upon the left lateral ventricle.  There is significant diffuse involutional change.  No new areas of enhancement.  Marrow signal is maintiained.  What does this mean?  Dr. is very hard to follow, he talks like I have a medical degree.  I know my husband is getting worse but what does this report say?

Unfortunately it most probably measn that his tumor is coming back which also is to be expected - these tumors usually do that. That he is getting worse is also a sad reflection of these signs. I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have a long time experience of these tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy, educated and trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: . I have no restrictions on the number of questions there. I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer.

Doctor of medicine, specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.