Brain Tumors/Acoustic Neuroma

Hi Dr. Nordquist,
I have an acoustic neuroma 4 x 6 x 9 mm.  I am on watch and wait status.  I have seen a radiologist twice and a neurosurgeon twice and they both concur that I should be on watch until the tumor shows more growth.  I have already had a sudden hearing loss event that was helped with 3 steroid shots to the ear drum.  I am trying to find any alternative methods that might help keep the tumor from growing.  I was wondering if you had any advice regarding these tumors about treatment, and or, alternative therapies.  
Thank You,

The only alternative to surgery I can recommend and for which your lesion is suitable due to its size is stereotactic radiation beam therapy with for example the GammaKnife. It is easy & simple (for you) and fast and has no more real side effects than surgery. Sorry, apart from surgery that is the only thing I can recommend! Sorry about the delay but I am ill. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have a long time experience of these tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy, educated and trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: . I have no restrictions on the number of questions there. I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer.

Doctor of medicine, specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.