Brain Tumors/Acoustic Neuroma

Question
Hi Dr. Nordquist,
I have an acoustic neuroma 4 x 6 x 9 mm.  I am on watch and wait status.  I have seen a radiologist twice and a neurosurgeon twice and they both concur that I should be on watch until the tumor shows more growth.  I have already had a sudden hearing loss event that was helped with 3 steroid shots to the ear drum.  I am trying to find any alternative methods that might help keep the tumor from growing.  I was wondering if you had any advice regarding these tumors about treatment, and or, alternative therapies.  
Thank You,
Shawn

Answer
The only alternative to surgery I can recommend and for which your lesion is suitable due to its size is stereotactic radiation beam therapy with for example the GammaKnife. It is easy & simple (for you) and fast and has no more real side effects than surgery. Sorry, apart from surgery that is the only thing I can recommend! Sorry about the delay but I am ill. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.