Brain Tumors/Melanoma of the brain

My sister was diagnosed with adenoid cystic carcinoma almost 15 years ago.  Her dentist found it in the back of her mouth.  It eventually spread to her brain, which resulted in the removal of her right eye about 9 years ago.  She has also had cancer in her lungs, liver and a spot on her hip.  She had melanoma of the skin about 2 years ago and it was removed.  She spent a summer in Indiana receiving radon therapy.  She has received more radiation in her lifetime than she should and no doctor is willing to do surgery.  She now has melanoma in the brain with a 2-6 months survival rate. She is in deep denial.  What should I expect to see in the next 6 months or so?  What should I watch for?  How do I help her?

If a malignancy has spread to the brain the process is often rather fast so the survival time can be measured in weeks or months and not very many of them. The patient will be more and more confused and sleep more and more. There may be neurological signs and symptoms like paralysis of neurological functions and muscles and even epileptic fits. When the patient sleeps all the time the end is near. She will then slip into a coma and ten pass away. There will be little pain - if any at all. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have a long time experience of these tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy, educated and trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: . I have no restrictions on the number of questions there. I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer.

Doctor of medicine, specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.