Brain Tumors/Oligodendroglioma grade II and III

QUESTION: My husband started having seizures in October 2013. Found he had a brain tumor. Had surgery at the end of October 2013 and was told they got 75 percent but could not get it all. Right temporal lobe. Started proton therapy the first week of January 2014 for 7 weeks, 5 days per along with chemo pill 7 days per week. Finished last week of February then did nothing but seizure meds and steroids for one month. Then started on the chemo pills again on a 5 days every 28 day period. He has not been able to go back to work. Doesn't walk well can not comprehend anything much. I just want someone to tell me what happened or even what to expect for the future. When we go next week it will be one year since this nightmare began and no one can tell me what we are looking at. They continue to say only time will tell. I want to know how to prepare the best I can for what time we have together. Are we talking one year five years or more. Will he ever be able to go back to work because that is all he wants to do. He can not drive. Can you give me any answers. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: I am sorry this has happiness to him and you! Oligodendrogliomas are less malignant than most other malignant brain tumors but this must be understood in a relative sense. Most other malignant brain tumors are really terribly malignant! So that this kind of tumor is less malignant does not mean that it is not malignant. But it does mean that patients with this tumor may live longer than those with other tumors. You did not tell me if genetic studies of the chromosomes of his tumor have been done and if so what the results are. Such results may be of importance in evaluating his situation and prognosis. If you know anything about this please let me know. It is also something you should ask his doctors about.i mentioned that he may live longer than patients with other malignant brain tumors. That is a fact but without those genetic tumor facts it is not possible to give a more precise time estimate. Also it is an estimate! It is based on average mean survival times. Longer survival times are therefore possible but also shorter. He may live for 5 to 10 years with this. But again both shorter and longer periods are possible. I am sorry I can not be more precise. With that genetic information I may be somewhat more precise. But it is not possible to give you a certain time line. Unfortunately I doubt that he will be able to go back to work or start driving again. I do hope that I will be proved wrong on these points but I do not think so. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: I do not have the genetic studies you spoke of but I am trying to see if they were done. My question now is my husband has been having daily headaches that ibuprofen or Tylenol doesn't seem to help. Our last visit to the neuro-oncologist she stared that she cannt see any tumor but doesn't say what is causing the headaches. He doesn't want to do rehab because he says he just doesn't feel like it. I like our doctors but am very frustrated with no answers. Thanks for any input with the situation.

You must ask his doctor to try to provide him with a better pain killer! That nothing is seen does not mean that nothing is there. Microscopic tumor deposits for example can not be seen. Both his tumor illness and his treatment may cause problems that can not be seen. Unfortunately if nothing pathological can be seen you can not claim that it is there with any certainty.

You can also reach me at:

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have a long time experience of these tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy, educated and trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: . I have no restrictions on the number of questions there. I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer.

Doctor of medicine, specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.