Brain Tumors/gamma knife brain tumours

Question
Hello, my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer over a year and a half ago and has undergone surgery, chemotherapy and radiation with at first apparent success.   A few months ago she found out that she had a brain tumour and has now undergone gamma ray surgery. At  first I thought this was great, though she fears that she is only buying time as the cancer has returned a and has to undergo another surgery followed by subsequent checkups at 3 month intervals.  She is in despair, but I wonder if this is warranted?  I wish I could speak to her doctor, though this is impossible as I live in a different city than her.  
Thank you.

Answer
Unfortunately it is. If the tumor in her brain was a daughter tumor - a metastase - of her breast cancer it means that her cancer has spread to a distant site, another organ. If it has spread to somewhere it usually also has spread to elsewhere. So she is now a stage 4 (the worst) breast cancer case. That is in principle at present incurable and eventually fatal. Treatment may buy time but that is all. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.