Brain Tumors/brain surgery recovery

Question
hi, i wanted to know if my brother will ever have a chance to recover fully from his brain surgery. i know its not going to be 100% but 80-90% maybe? my brother was dx with pilocytic astrocytoma, it was located in the center of the two brain lobes in the middle, the size of a golf ball. he had surgery to remove it but had to get another surgery later that night to remove the right side skull to give to brain room because it as so swollen. He was bed bounded for over a month and was getting so many infections and finally they place two shunts in his brain to drain out the fluid, then he started getting better. my questing is that with my brother he's able to function normally with his daily life, but has trouble when his trying to start a conversation words doesn't come out right. He seem to know everything you say and ask and can answer you but just want he try to start a conversation. but if you correct him he will realized at time that his not saying it right. and another example is if he walks out the door he wouldn't remember which door to use to come back in. Its been about 4 months from his recovery. I'm wondering g if he will have a good chance of recovery. his is 33 years order. please let me know. thank You

Answer
Hello there Linda, I can't say I know much about your brother's tumour specifically. My astrocytoma was different but also golf ball size. It matters where the location is and how difficult removal is(how much damage is done to the brain). In my opinion there is always chance of more recovery, maybe not full, but with hope and encouragement you can help him reach his full potential and maybe more NEVER give up hope and faith are amazing things!!  I Hope I was helpful to you.  The brain is an amazing organ and can recover, and can be re-taught.  If you have an BRAIN INJURY SOCIETY in your town or city I highly recommend you go to them for information. I takes a very long time for the brain to get back to where is was before surgery.

Good luck to you and your brother, Linda.

Maryann

Brain Tumors

maryann carrigan