Brain Tumors/GBMTreatment

Hello and many thanks Doctor for your time and expertise. My 40 year old son-in-law was diagnosed with a Glioblastoma IV months ago. He had a resection, 6week round of Chemo and Radiation and then had and MRI. He had one additional week of Chemo-this was done in oral pill form.
He is now being given the option of drug- trial treatment: one being Novo TTF-100A with Avastin or TK1258 (Dovitinib). The doctor has told us his is very aggressive and getting worse. Which would you reccommend?
Many thanks and blessings to you,

Glioblastoma multiforme grade IV (4). Is among the worst malignant tumors you can have. It's prognosis is very bad. Even with very aggressive treatment including surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy survival times are around 1 to 2 years. Almost nobody survives longer. And quite a few even shorter times. Without treatment survival time is much shorter. So what treatment so far can do is to extend survival time to some extent. A treatment trial with new medicines is a clinical experiment. No one can guarantee any kind of success though sometimes you do have success. But it is not something you can count on. In this situation I do not see that he has much of a choice. His situation is about as hopeless as it can be. Even though the chance of any kind of success with the new treatment is small it is more or less the only chance he has. If I was in his situation I would jump at it immediately! Even though I would know that the chance was very small. So he has to be realistic but it is a chance he can not and should not say no to. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you! Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have a long time experience of these tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy, educated and trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: . I have no restrictions on the number of questions there. I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer.

Doctor of medicine, specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.