Brain Tumors/Melanoma of the brain

Question
My father was diagnosed with stage IV metastatic melanoma in October 2013, he was given surgery to remove the cancer in his neck lymph nodes, followed by radiation .  Cat scan of neck chest and pelvis were clear, but last week he suffered peripheral loss of vision in his left eye. A cat scan revealed 4-5 lesions, one measuring 2.5cm, the other showing slight bleeding.  He is on day 2 of radiation treatment . He is 76.  What should we as a family expect, I realize that the prognosis is poor, how long will my dad be with us?  We are truly devastated. Please help us come to terms with this.

Answer
Unfortunately I can not give you any good news. Malignant melanomas usually do not respond well to radiation therapy or chemotherapy. Usually survival times in this situation can be measured in weeks or at most a few months. He will become more and more confused and sleep more and more. When he sleeps all the time the end is near. There will not be much pain - if any. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you! There may also be stroke like symptoms and even epileptic fits.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.