Brain Tumors/Seconday brain tumors

Question
QUESTION: My husband was just dianosed with a brain tumor, they don't believe it is primary, but are unable to find a primary cancer. they believe this cancer to be aggressive, and fast growing.  He has had, chest, neck, abd. & pelvic CT'c wich have been negative.  What is the wisdom of doing a PET scan at this point?  There are 3 lesion in his brain & they are unable to bx. 2 of them.  How would you proceed?

ANSWER: I am sorry to read of his and your problems! You mention that it is impossible to get a biopsy from 2 of his 3 lesions. Is it possible from the 3rd? If so I would suggest such a biopsy in order to get more and better information with regards to the problem we are facing. Yes a PET scan may give us information of where his primary tumor is but it is not certain. But there is not really any other way. At the same time however I must, since you ask me what to do, inform you that regardless of where his primary may be his situation is very bad with a very bad prognosis. Since he has 3 lesions it is probable that he has a cancer somewhere else that has spread to his brain. That fact makes such a cancer a stage 4 cancer - the worst - and tells us that his prognosis is bad. Furthermore, if it has spread to the brain it probably also has spread elsewhere as well though not detected yet - maybe not even detectable yet. The only treatment I can suggest in this situation is a combination of radiation therapy to his brain and chemotherapy. I must tell,you however that such a treatment does not offer a cure only a postponement and prolongation of the process. That is unfortunately all I can offer you. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

QUESTION: In your honest opinion, would you weigh quality of life over quanity with such a hopeless dx.?  My concern is taking the good days we have left and making them miserable with (esp.) chemo & radiation.  We live in a rural community where radiation daily is a 3 hour trip minimally.
Just seeking honesty, as if this were your family member.

Answer
I will answer this way. If this happened to me I would not bother with any treatment at all and use whatever time I had remaining to do things I just wanted to do! When my situation became too miserable I would probably use my revolver and shoot myself. But this is my probable choice. Everyone must make his or her own choice.

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.