Brain Tumors/Left frontal brain tumor

Question
Hi hope this finds you well, my 77 yr old mother in law had a biopsy done on 4/29/15 her tumor is 17 mm x 13mm they said it is not operable to be removed, her DR said that there is dead tissue as well as abnormal tissue that they could tell so far from the biopsy but no other results at this time, what does this usally mean?

Answer
What does her CT/MRI scan say? A scan must have been done before her biopsy otherwise it would not have been possible to do the biopsy. The biopsy result so far does not tell me enough to be able to give you a complete enough verdict. But unfortunately it is very likely that her brain tumor is malignant. If so her prognosis is likely to be very bad. That opinion is also supported by the fact that it seems to be inoperable. If so the only possible treatments would be stereotactic radiation therapy by GammaKnife or by protons (her tumor is small enough for that) or conventional radiation therapy and by chemotherapy. However the available methods - even in combination and even if surgery had been available - most probably do not offer a cure. So her prognosis remains very bad in that case. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.