Brazil/Stable union

Question
I am an American citizen living in Rio in a same-sex stable union. Ive been with my boyfriend for just over 2 years and our stable union was more than a year and a half ago. I am still waiting for my working papers and to be granted permanency. I should be getting my response soon. The problem is my relationship. I do not think we will stay together much longer. In my time here, I have been making significant headway towards opening a business here in Brazil and hope to make my life here. If we separate, do I loose my right to be here? Or does my process continue? Ive been trying to understand how long we have to be together for me to be able to continue living here without him. He says we have to be together for at least 7 years! I think he says that to control me and keep us together. Can you clarify? Thank you!

Answer
I am not a lawyer, nor do I have personal (self or friends) experience going through this.

You may find the following related posts (albeit about marriage-based permanencia)interesting, and you could also post your own question there on that expat site. (Note: Poster "sven" on there recently finished Brazilian law school.)

http://www.gringoes.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19464&KW=divorce+permanencia&P
and
http://www.gringoes.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19389&KW=divorce+permanencia&P

Brazil

Sandra