Bread & Pastries/Recipe for yeast bread using corn flour

GFSASS wrote at 2011-08-05 14:31:11
you can totally use cornflour to make yeast bread, i do it all the time, and its delicious. subsitute exact measurement for wheat flour and you'll love it.maybe useslightly more yeast and sugar. i also use lactose free milk, and olive oil. you'll have no problem.

u may want to let the bread rise slightly longer than u would for wheat bread. enjoy!  

Bob wrote at 2011-08-13 18:00:01
I live in Mexico and use locally ground wheat flour.  It does not have the same gluten content as bread flour or other flours at home.  To counter this I add, as a supplement, Vital Wheat Gluten which I can buy locally, in the ratio of about 1 Tablespoon per cup of Wheat Flour.  If Corn Flour doesn't have any gluten then perhaps the addition of Vital Wheat Gluten in the ratio of 2 Tablespoons or more per cup of Corn Flour would work.  Experimentation is the name of the game now for me as well as I just picked up some Corn Flour by mistake.  

LadyInCharlotte wrote at 2013-10-07 02:44:03
I am by no means an expert, but tonight I made a pizza dough recipe using corn flour and regular unbleached, all purpose flour. The recipe calls for 2 and 1/2 cups of flour, and I substituted 3/4 cup of corn flour for the traditional flower. Though it has less gluten, the dough did rise, and I allowed additional time for the dough to rise. The result in the end was thin crispy crust, that was not very doughy, but you do get great corn flavor. The aroma from the baking was absolutely enticing. I absolutely adore corn flour. My family and I will use this recipe again.

Bread & Pastries

Elyse Grau

I can answer any questions about baking. The only thing I'm not too good at is baking pies, nor do I know much about high altitude baking.

I have been baking for over 30 years. One of my hobbies is creating recipes, most of those for baked goods. I made my own wedding cake. Currently I prefer to bake healthier things. I use a lot of whole wheat and other whole grain flours, and prefer to use less sugar or sugar substitutes in my baking. I do a lot with fruit.

Hobby Farms Home Gardening How-to BackHome Creswell Chronicle

none that apply