Bread & Pastries/powdered sugar

mary wrote at 2011-01-14 02:43:42
I too have this problem with powdered sugar!  I think it is the corn starch I can taste.  It ruins homemade icing.  I haven't found a remedy though...

Hanna wrote at 2012-12-05 22:42:08
I, too, dislike the taste of icing and frosting made with powdered sugar. I don't think it matters where I buy it or what brand, I can taste it. It tastes slightly stale. I just figured that's how home made frosting had to be, but I've recently discovered a lot of great recipies that don't use powdered sugar and like them much better. I'm glad to know it's not just me. Haha. Maybe some people are more sensitive to it?

solimar wrote at 2013-08-15 13:22:02
My powdered sugar also tastes funny after opening it and using for first time. I've stored in glass, cardboard box, plastic container, same taste.  The funny taste is in the powdered sugar alone. It is noticeable to taste although have no clue as to why.

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans