Bread & Pastries/Tender Pineapple cakes

sample cake photo
sample cake photo  
Hi Ralph,
Firs of all, i am quite grateful for your help.

I have been trying to bake those Taiwanese Pineapple Cakes. i have trialed them a couple times. they taste great but the problem is they break too often in the oven and are too cripy/flaky.
My recipe is:

Maida Flour -   500gm
Yolk -          4eggs
Butter          50gm
Margarine   350gm
Sugar Powder   100gm
Corn Flour   100gm

How do i make them more tender (so i can eat them without them falling all over me) and also not break or crack. Is it the fat/gluten/...?

I live in India, All Purpose flour is not very easy to find, and butter not economical. The maida flour(bleached wheat flour from endosperm) has 9.5% gluten, the margarine had 80% fat.
Also how should i go about if i want to bake eggless.

I think your main problem is the corn flour...this is more like corn bread than a cake. And probably don't have the gluten necessary to hold this "cake" together!

With regard to butter...I don't mind the margarine so much...but the flour is the main problem as I see it.

Have you tried ordering all purpose from someone like

Taiwanese Pineapple Cakes

For the pineapple jam:
1 medium pineapple (about 450g of edible pineapple), chopped finely
1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
scant 1/4 cup (60g) golden syrup
1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp water, mixed into a slurry

For the dough:
1 stick (113g) salted butter
1/4 cup (55g) shortening
1/2 cup (65g) confectioners sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups (210g) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (35g) corn starch
1/4 tsp (1g) baking soda  

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans