Bread & Pastries/Baking Popovers

Hi, Ralph.  I need your help to make the texture and consistency of my popovers taste like popovers should taste.  Here's my current recipe:  Preheat oven to 425.  Beat two eggs with an electric mixer, one cup of sifted flour, one tablespoon vegetable oil, one teaspoon of salt, and one cup of milk and then pour the mixture into a muffin tin. (I only fill the muffin tin 2/3 of the way to allow the popovers space to rise.  Bake until brown.  Here's my problem.  My popovers always turn out to have the consistency of muffins (too dense and not smoothe inside).  Also, my popovers are not hollow and puffed up like they should be.  They don't rise anywhere near as much as they should, and they're too dense, and they're not hollow.  What should I do differently?  I've tried baking them in both a convention and traditional oven.  Please help.  Thanks.

Hi Bill:

Popovers don't require leaveners to rise as there is a high liquid to flour ratio.

The protein from the eggs and flour combine to trap the steam from the liquid, and the combo is strong enough to flex, yet contain the expansion.

I would go to 450F first off. You need lots of heat to make that steam.

Then...I would consider using all purpose flour rather than pastry or cake flour. Although the pastry flour will give a lighter dough, it isn't strong enough to contain the steam and really create a rise that forms that empty airy finished product.

Try this:

3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk ( 12 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 c up unsalted melted butter
6 1/4 ounces...about 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Put the liquid in your mixer or blender FIRST before the dry.

Blend about a minute. Make sure all is incorporated.

Let is rest a bit...say 15 minutes or so.

Use pan release pam on your popover pan.

Fill the cups about 2/3 rds the way up.

Be sure that oven is up to temperature!!!

Bake about 20 minutes then reduce heat to 350F for an extra 10 minutes.

If you open the oven door to check the process, you will reduce the heat and loose that rise we're going for!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove from the oven and prick the top with a knife and let them cool about 5 minutes or so.

Turn them out of the pan...GENTLY...onto a wire rack.

Let me know how you do!

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans