Bread & Pastries/Challah

Question
Hi Ralph,
I've recently started to make challah. I'm fairly new to baking, but I've had a lot of success with other breads in the past. My issue is that immediately after I ad the egg wash the dough sinks, and I wind of with a fairly flat loaf of bread. Is there any trick to covering the dough with the egg wash?
Thanks,
Tuck

Answer
Hi Tuck:

If you touch the dough, and it "sinks", my guess is that it is over 'proofed!

I assume that you are egg washing just before you are ready to bake.

Proofing would be for about 60 minutes depending on your room temperature.

The loaf is ready to bake when you depress is slightly and is springs back slowly.

I can send you a formula if you like.

Go to adagiobakery@gmail.com we can start there.  

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti