Bread & Pastries/Challah

Hi Ralph,
I've recently started to make challah. I'm fairly new to baking, but I've had a lot of success with other breads in the past. My issue is that immediately after I ad the egg wash the dough sinks, and I wind of with a fairly flat loaf of bread. Is there any trick to covering the dough with the egg wash?

Hi Tuck:

If you touch the dough, and it "sinks", my guess is that it is over 'proofed!

I assume that you are egg washing just before you are ready to bake.

Proofing would be for about 60 minutes depending on your room temperature.

The loaf is ready to bake when you depress is slightly and is springs back slowly.

I can send you a formula if you like.

Go to we can start there.  

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans