Bread & Pastries/Freeform Honey Vanilla Bread

I'm moving and don't have a pan. I'm thinking of using cardboard covered in tin foil. For ingredients I have whole wheat flour, salt, sugar, fast rising yeast, plus the vanilla and honey, but no milk. My question is how much of each and what temp do I use. I normally find a similar recipe and change it to fit, but nothing I can find is anywhere close. I never made a 'sweet bread', or normal bread without a bread pan. I'm trying to use up some things so I have less to deal with. I know there's a way, I just don't have experience with bread(or pizza) doughs. Thank you!

Hi Rob:

Try this:

Whole wheat 100 %
Water        78.5%
Yeast         2% This is for fresh yeast. If your using instant...use 33% of this amount
Salt          1.5%
Honey         5%
Vanilla       2%
Sugar         3%

Whole Wheat    500   grams
Water          393.5 grams
Yeast          3.3 grams
Salt          10   grams
Honey          25   grams
Sugar          15   grams
Vanilla         10   grams

Mix all and let sit for one hour
Gently pat down the dough and let sit for an additional hour.
Form the dough into a loaf and let proof for about 90 minutes
Bake at 440 degrees F for about 25 to 30 minutes.

The loaf is done when you tap the bottom and it sounds hollow.
The internal temp if you have a thermometer should be about 205 F

Let me know how you do!

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans