Bread & Pastries/Calzone Dough:Yeast or Baking Powder

Question
Hello Ralph,

I'm attempting to make mini calzones. I've researched yeast versus baking powder doughs, but still not sure which to use given my current circumstances. You see, I'm in a foriegn country, and in this small town I'm in, thete's only one store with yeast. And the ironic thing is, the yeast is from ANOTHER country,with a foriegn language on the pack that no one here can read! So I don't know if it's dry yeast or what! Only English word on it is YEAST. So I didn't know wether to try it, or go for a recipe calling for baking powder instead. If it helps, the type of calzone I'll be attempting is dessert, but not sure if that matters-LOL!

Your advice?

Thank you!

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich:

Well first of all, you need to describe the yeast. Is it granulated and very small, or is it fresh in moist blocks?

In either case, I would go yeast. Baking powder or Baking soda can be used, but the dough will be a bit different.

I can give you a formula for normal pizza dough which will work perfectly for calzones no matter what the purpose, sweet or savory.

Send a request to adagiobakery@gmail.com as long as all discussion returns here to allexperts.com

Ralph

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti