Bread & Pastries/Donuts

Question
QUESTION: Hi Mr. Onesti,

I don't know how else to contact you. I have referred a number people to your site. One has asked a question and not gotten a response. Is everything all right in your world? I know that things can happen that take up our primary time. I understand that this is a volunteer thing for you. However, it says that you are "available". Should that be changed to "unavailable"? My friend, Nettie Baker, is very disappointed that you did not follow through with her and provide a recipe that you said you would send. I believe she is interested in raised doughnuts and sent you the ones she had and asked for help. Is there another "expert" that she can address her questions to? She is a serious student of doughnut making, and I would like to see your service assist her, if possible. Please let me know if there is someone else that can help. I know that schedules get in the way of volunteering.

Fanny

ANSWER: Oh my...I did send it. It must have gotton lost in cyber space.

OK...here goes again and I'm sorry to be such a disappoinment.

Sponge
2 ounces fresh compressed yeast (.33 of that if using dry instant)
1.5 cups whole milk (room temperature)
12 ounces bread flour 11.8% protein (all purpose is fine)

Mix all and let stand for an hour.

Dough
1.5 ounces fresh compressed yeast (.33 of that if using instant dry).33 X 1.5 = .5 ounces dry.
1/2 cut whole milk (room temperature)
4 ounces granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
zest of one lemon
6 egg yolks
4 ounces unalted butter at room temperature
1 pound bread flour (all purpose)
Vegetable oil for deep frying

In a mixer put the yeast and milk and add the sponge. Mix on slow.
Use a dough hook to incorporate sugar, salt, lemon, eggs, and butter.
Add the flour gradually and need on medium 5-10 minutes.

The dough should be soft and able to be rolled out.

Use a good amount of flour on your hands and work surface to form the dough into a rectangle or square.

Line a baking pan with parchment, flour, place the dough on top, cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Roll the dough to 1/2" thick using no flour as it will adversly affect the fying process.

Cut our doughnuts using a normal doughnut cutter.

Place the formed doughnuts on sheet pans covered with a tea towel to prevent sticking.

Proof at 80 degrees F until just about doubled in size. If you press it with your finger they should spring back slowly...fast and they are underproofed...let proof some more.

Heat oil to 360 degrees. Use a thermometer for accuracy.

Quickly add the doughnuts to the oil. Do not crowd as they will lower the oil temperature.

In about 2 minutes when cooked half way, turn them over.

Remove with a skimmer to leave the oil behind and place on paper towel to remove oil.

While still warm, roll in cinnamin or powdered sugar.

QUESTION: Nettie asked for help on the 9th and she is very upset that you never answered any, cept for one, of the emails she sent you, saying that she never got anything. It took my stepping in to get a response from you. She is posting about her treatment by you in her group, and it's a large one. Why did you not answer her emails that she went to you as you requested? I can see not answering one email, but not answering any of them until I got involved is really disappointing. We are glad that you finally lived up to your promise to send a recipe. Perhaps, you  might want to add someone else to the forum as an expert and we'll get our answers sooner and not have bad experiences to post.

Answer
If you check with Nettie, you will find that we were in communication and I promised her the formula as soon as got back from teaching in Atlanta.

Nettie has been emailed a copy of this formula.

Again...sorry to be such a disappointment.

And if you like, I'm sure there are other experts listed on this site. I'm here for you in any case.

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti