Bread & Pastries/Doughnut Recipe

I am interested in a yeast donut recipe, too. Can you post one for all of us?

Thanks in advance!

I would be happy to:

2 ounces fresh compressed yeast (.33 of that if using dry instant)
1.5 cups whole milk (room temperature)
12 ounces bread flour 11.8% protein (all purpose is fine)

Mix all and let stand for an hour, covered.

1.5 ounces fresh compressed yeast (.33 of that if using instant dry).33 X 1.5 = .5 ounces dry.
1/2 cut whole milk (room temperature)
4 ounces granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
zest of one lemon
6 egg yolks
4 ounces unsalted butter at room temperature
1 pound bread flour (all purpose)
Vegetable oil for deep frying

In a mixer put the yeast and milk and add the sponge. Mix on slow.
Use a dough hook to incorporate sugar, salt, lemon, eggs, and butter.
Add the flour gradually and need on medium 5-10 minutes.

The dough should be soft and able to be rolled out.

Use a good amount of flour on your hands and work surface to form the dough into a rectangle or square.

Line a baking pan with parchment, flour, place the dough on top, cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Roll the dough to 1/2" thick using no flour as it will adversely affect the frying process.

Cut our doughnuts using a normal doughnut cutter.

Place the formed doughnuts on sheet pans covered with a tea towel to prevent sticking.

Proof at 80 degrees F until just about doubled in size. If you press it with your finger they should spring back and they are under-proofed...let proof some more.

Heat oil to 360 degrees. Use a thermometer for accuracy.

Quickly add the doughnuts to the oil. Do not crowd as they will lower the oil temperature.

In about 2 minutes when cooked half way, turn them over.

Remove with a skimmer to leave the oil behind and place on paper towel to remove oil.

While still warm, roll in cinnamon or powdered sugar.

Happy Baking!

QUESTION: Wow! What a fast answer! Got only one question on this. "One pound of flour". Is that an actual 16 ounces, or 9 ounces, as one pound is two cups. and my scale is 4.5 ounces per cup. And thanks for the great response!

The only reason I use cups is that the normal home baker doesn't weigh.

but I mean 16 ounces or 450 grams.

You are most welcome!

QUESTION: Hi again,

For the eggs. Are they large eggs, jumbo or medium? Or, do you have a weight in ounces?  I learned to cook with a scale and that is why I ask!

Thanks again!

Hi Ron:

Here...I weigh everything.

When I use eggs (large) they are usually around 55 grams whole.

I would figure 23 grams per yolk or 138 grams. If you're using ounces, off the top of my head, 28.35 grams equals an ounce. You can check that for me.

I think that comes to about 120 ml for the 6 yolks.

I always teach that weight is king. If you're weighing, there is no error in what kind of cup, or who levels, or who heaps.

And, I bit the bullet and converted to metric. It is so much more simple.

If you like to bake...we can do all sorts of stuff...bread...croissant...Danish. Let's have fun!

And please, please, please be careful with that hurts. If you have a large slotted spoon, or better yet a skimmer (looks like a frame of tight chicken wire with a long handle) that's even better. The larger portion of oil goes out quickly and it is much more safe!

Ok...stay close and let me know how you do.

Yeah...OK...that was unclear...when I said know base 10 like our money...arbitrary but makes more sense. I weight EVERYTHING even liquid in grams!

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans