Bread & Pastries/Freeze apps

Hi I am wondering if I can freeze a certain puff pastry appetizer.
It is called a french onion puff. Puff pastry filled with caramelized onions and Gruyere cheese. Can I prep and then freeze this to be cooked when ready?
Thank you.

Hello Holly:

I have personally never "frozen" puff pastry but know those who did.

You must remember that true puff pastry has no yeast.

It is layers upon layers of dough and fat (butter).

I would do my 4 double turns, roll it out, trap the ingredients (onions and cheese) then freeze immediately.

You must be careful to properly prepare the finished roll in freezer wrap leaving out as much air as possible. Otherwise, that air, with moisture in it, will form ice crystals on the roll. If I were doing this, I would use a vacuum sealer with the rolls laid flat and not touching. You have to be careful to stop the vacuum just short of compressing and de-forming the rolls.

Give it a try and let me know how you do.  

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans