Bread & Pastries/Glutton

What quality does glutton add to bread products and why do glutton free products seem dryer and flatter? Is there anyway to make glutton free foods more like foods with wheat in them?

Hi James:

Gluten is form as soon as moisture hits the flour.

It adds expandability and elasticity.

With no gluten, it is difficult to hold the product together.

Gluten free formulas are carefully crafted to overcome some, but not all of the problems associated with having no gluten.

Richard Coppedge had a great book on gluten free baking:

Happy baking!

Bread & Pastries

Ralph Onesti

Anything to do with yeasted doughs: First off...Please do not include sensitive material and please do not set your question to "private". answers may benefit someone else with the same problem. Breads: sourdough, levain, rye, brioche, laminated doughs, French doughs, straight dough, enriched doughs, danish, etc.

I grew up in the pastry business in South Philadelphia many years ago. I trained with the best in bread baking artisan style loaves.

Bread Baker's Guild of America

Trained with the family in the family business, and award winning bread artisans