Breast Cancer/Upcoming Lumpectomy

Question
Hello,  I am 49, no children, sister died of breast cancer. I recently had a needle biopsy for microcalcifications,  The diagnosis is:
Fibrocystic changes, proliferative with atypical lobular hyperplasia, apocrine metaplasia, columnar cell change, pseudoangiomatous hyperplasia and rare micro calcifications.

I was told I need to have a lumpectomy.  I have had US in addition to mammo, shouldn't I have an MRI prior to lumpectomy to see if there is something else?   Thank you for your time.

Answer
Yes in my opinion it is never wrong and usually right to also have an MRI breast scan done. The lumpectomy is probably done though no cancer was found in order not to miss anything. If such a scan had been done the risk of missing anything most probably would be much smaller anyway - even without a lumpectomy. But I can not claim that the lumpectomy is unnecessary. It too will clarify this matter. And you are a patient with several risk factors. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.