Breast Cancer/Concern with breast cancer

Question
I recently started having pain in my left side of my breast and the top part since Oct. 11, 2013 and the pain is localized in one area in the breast, the left side.

I went to my doctors who did an exam and ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound was done on Oct. 16, 2013 and the results of the test showed two benign cysts and the radiologist noted that an area of dense breast tissue was a concern.

My doctor just told me to avoid any caffeine for two weeks and if the pain persists call him back. He did nothing for the pain and I have swelling and severe pain that doesn't seem to want to go away even with over the counter Tylenol being used for pain.

I have a history of breast cancer that runs in my mom and dads family. I am 29 years old and have had two children. Should I press my doctor for additional testing?

Answer
At your age breast cancer is uncommon but not unheard of. With a family history of breast cancer more effort should be put in your case. Your ultrasound breast scan should be complemented with mammographies & MRI breast scans. And if necessary at least needle biopsies.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.