Breast Cancer/Mastectomy after lumpectomy

Question
I am 65 years old, currently completing A/C +T chemo following lumpectomy for an aggressive 5 cm triple negative breast cancer with 0 of 2 nodes negative.  
My bra size is 32J and the breasts are very pendulous. Because I would need to move to another community for 6 weeks' prone radiation, I am considering bilateral mastectomy after chemo.
My oncologist says removing breasts doesn't matter since my triple negative will come back in liver, lungs or brain. And my surgeon strongly favors lumpectomy versus mastectomy.
Would you recommend I travel for the prone radiation, pursue the double mastectomy option, or agree to non-prone radiation at a local facility? And do you agree that treatment of the breast in triple negative is not significant since recurrence occurs in other organs? I have not been able to find statistics on this.
Thank you.

Answer
I have to agree with your doctors even though the radiation therapy of the operated breast (lumpectomy) is made mainly to decrease the risk that the cancer comes back there locally. Yes you can have mastectomy instead (either just on the operated side or bilaterally) and that would make radiation therapy more or less unnecessary. But in my opinion that is using more surgery than necessary. Instead I do recommend the radiation therapy. The main treatment to decrease your risk that your cancer spreads is your chemotherapy. So since I think mastectomy is more surgery (and therefore more risks) than is necessary I do recommend radiation therapy as planned! But of course the choice is yours! Good luck whatever you decide!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.