Breast Cancer/Thickening year after excisional biopsy

Before excisional biopsy
Before excisional biop  

November and April mammo
November and April mam  
I had a mammogram back in November. It was with a new clinic (closer to my new house). Mammo and ultrasound was used to diagnose lump and some pulling I was experiencing. Biopsy and the tests came back benign! YAY! Months pass, and the new doc finally recieves previous mammogram from old doc. She compares the two and calls me in for an exam. Between mammo 1, and mammo 2 I had an excisional biopsy. Small papilloma right under the nipple. Mammo 2 showed what the doctor thought to be scar tissue. She was unsure and scheduled another mammo to compare the images. Had that third Mammo today. Everything looks the same, except.. there seems to be more thickening. The thickening and scar tissue are about 1-2 inches away from my incision. My incision is around the areola. The scar tissue, indentation and thickening is positioned well above.

I asked the doc if it would be possible to get scar tissue so far above the incision site, it the area that was biopsied was positioned below the incision. She responded that she thought the area that was biopsied was above that (she didnt get the Incisional biopsy report from the old doc). This lead to another ultrasound which showed the thickening, and the scheduling a sterotopic biopsy. She seems to still think it's scar tissue, which is comforting. However, I am still having a hard time understanding how the scar tissue and the area that was biopsied is in different parts of the breast. I also wish I understood how common it is to have increased thickening more than a year after biopsy?

Would you recommend alternate next steps?

I'm not a diagnostic radiologist so I will not discuss your pictures here. I'm a medical oncologist & radiation therapist. The matter of your scar should be directed to an experienced surgeon. I do recommend the stereotactic surgery to be sure. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.