Breast Cancer/breast lump

Hi Dr,

I'm hoping you will be kind enough to give me some advice on behalf of my mother.

My mother has recently had a breast lump present. It started as a stinging pain, which she thought was the result of an insect bite. Overnight she felt a lump, and there was a red mark on the breast. She left it thinking it was an insect bite. A week later it was getting worse; the area around the nipple was very red and the lump was 5cm by 4cm. She went to her doctor and the doctor prescribed 7 days of antibiotics. Seven days and a course of antibiotics later and the lump is not only still there but it is bigger. It is now 6cm by 4cm. The whole breast is bigger. It is very sore to the touch, with a stinging, burning pain which is so bad it prevents sleep. The are is very red, there is a large circular area of redness around the breast.
My mother's doctor has referred her to a specialist breast clinic, but the appointment is not until 6th June. That was the earliest appointment we could get.

Please can you give your opinion on what this could be, and whether we should be worried? Thankyou

This does sound as an infection/inflammation rather than a tumour. But of course I can not be sure without an examination. Anyway she should not wait but go to the nearest surgical emergency room to have it checked! Because it also sounds like an emergency to me! Good luck! P.S. I do not understand the oddities of the British National Health Service so I can just hope that my advice is compatible with that service!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.