Breast Cancer/Pagets disease of the nipple

Question
I have had two biopsies, one on the nipple which stated 'appearances are those of Pagets disease' and the other, a seriotactic, two at the same time as they had difficulty in obtaining a sample,(14 samples were taken ) which came back as no calcifications were seen but the tissue looked abnormal, but not enough to confirm a definate diagnoses, however, suspicious.
My nipple did originally 'leak', very little, every now and then. I have no lumps, no discolouration of the nipple or aereola, no redness or swelling, no pain.  I have been recommended to have a mastecomy as the area of califications they biopsied is at the side and inwards from the nipple. I am not sure what to do, i am very confused as to is it cancer? if early cancer, do i need to have such drastic surgery? i would appreciate your thoughts about this.

Answer
If the nipple biopsy showed Paget's disease of th nipple then it is a cancer. Obviously it is, based on the vague other results, difficult to know how big your tumour is. Perhaps an MRI breast scan can be of help here. Otherwise I have to support the mastectomy suggestion. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.