Breast Cancer/us results

Question
QUESTION: US showed prominent dilated ducts in upper outer left breast accounting for large bandlike focal asymmetry. contain low level echogenic material which most likely represents debris. suspected small intraductal mass measuring 6x5x3mm at 1:00 postion.likely represents papilloma although differential diagnosis wuold include carcinoma with possibly extraductal fibrocystic change. What do you think this means?

ANSWER: It probably means that you have a papilloma (a wart) inside one (or more) of your milk ducts. A galactogram (a mammogram with x-ray contrast in the milk duct(s) of interest) should give us more information. An ultrasound guided needle biopsy may also be of interest. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: Papilloma like the STD virus? Cause that I would not have. Papilloma I was told i would of had nipple discharge and or pain. Is that not always the case? I'm scheduled for a biopsy. Would you have very dense breast with a papilloma? Right breast was normal. Thanks

Answer
Papillomas are usually caused by virus. Like HPV. Nipple discharge is common. But in your case it is stated that you have several prominent and dilated (=expanded) milk ducts in the area of interest. So it seems probable that the ouflow from these ducts is blocked (by papilloma(s)) and that would explain why they are expanded and why there has been no discharge. Yes a biopsy must be recommended.Good luck!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.