Breast Cancer/infiltrating duct carcinoma grade II

Question
my mother age 59 yrs  excised lump upper outer quadrant of right breast. her biopsy report shows infiltrating duct carcinoma grade II invading the stroma along with dense inflammatory reaction.
cross section of specimen shows nodular fragment of fibrofatty tissue measuring 7x6cm. cut section shows fibrous area and frim whitish area measuring 2.5x2x1cm with illdefined margins.the mass is 0.5cm in the nearest resected margin.
what is the indication of grade II ?what are the treatments for this case? is this completely curable?

Answer
What has her treatment up to this point in time been? Surgery? If so, how much of her right breast has been removed? Have her lymph nodes in the area of interest (especially the so called sentinel node(s))been examined? To answer your question fully I do need to know this. I would also appreciate to read her full pathology report(s)! Also in order to be of help better. You can copy any report here. In general the treatment is surgery in combination with radiation therapy. If the cancer has spread to lymph nodes (or even further) also chemotherapy may be used. Also hormonal therapy may be of value. Has her pathology specimen been checked for hormonal receptors and HER2 presence? If hormonal receptors are there hormonal treatment in some form may be of use. If HER2 is present even more aggressive treatment may be necessary. Grade is a measurement of how aggressive a cancer is. A grade II (2) cancer is medium/intermediate aggressive. One of the reasons I need to read her full report is that I need to check completely how close to the surgical border her cancer comes. Since this is an invasive cancer it is not at present possible to guarantee a 100% cure. But with the right treatment such a cure can be made probable to a high degree of probability. But much depends on her pathology report and those other things mentioned above. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.