Breast Cancer/Radiation after Mastectiomy

Question
In 2010 I was told by my Surgeon I could have a lumpectomy with radiation to follow, or a Mastectomy with no further treatment. I chose the Mastectomy, and then was sent to 7 weeks of Radiation treatments. My Cancer was stage 2 because of the size, but no lymph node involvement. WHY the radiation? I can not get a straight answer from my Dr?? thank you

Answer
Without having all the details of your case I can not be 100% certain. But since it was a stage 2 tumor due to its size it is probable that it was done because of that size. The limits of the tumor when they were checked by the pathologist after surgery were likely too close to the surgical borders of the pathology specimen (your removed breast). This could not be known - at least no one could be sure - until after surgery. In order to decrease the risks that these findings made evident radiation theraoy was used. i would have made the same decision in a similar situation.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.