Breast Cancer/paclitaxel

How does paclitaxel or Taxol act on microtubules to help cure cancer? I have heard it is a natural drug, and have read a few things about it on various medical journals, but it hard to understand. Thanks for your help.

It is in fact a so called "natural drug" (I do not like the terminology, what is an unnatural drug? All drugs are produced according to natural laws regarless of in plants or in the laboratory or in a factory so there are no unnatural drugs!). It is produced by a fungus living in the bark of the yew tree on the West Coast of North America. It does indeed interfere with the structure and function of the cancer cells' microtubuli - very thin and small tubes inside these cells - and thereby also with the ability of these cells to divide and multiply. So like most anti cancer drugs it interferes with the ability of the cancer to grow. That is the important part of the description. The rest is just technicalities!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.