Breast Cancer/Gynecomastia and Cancer Correlation

I was reading about how gynecomastia indicates a higher risk of breast cancer. Os that just because there is extra breast tissue in men and therefor a higher risk, or is hormonal? I am 21 and not obese or have fully developed breasts, but I have slightly enlarged nipples. I read somewhere that it is a form of gynecomastia but it is difficult for me to find another medical term for it for some reason. Does this increased risk affect me then? I know my father had the same issue when he was younger, but he had them 'normalized'.

Also, I have emailed you in the past concerning polythelia and cancer risk. Mostly testicular. However, i have since learned that kidney cancer is supposedly in the highest risk factor. According to this chart, the research showed that testicular cancer risk is 4.5 times higher. I used this information and based on male incidence of kidney cancer (1/56), then my risk would be something like 1.8. Seems high, no?

These findings of gynecomastia and kidney thing worry me especially since i had several vcugs done in the past on top of this. Any insight?

Thank you in advance.

It is probably a combination of more glandular tissue and hormonal factors. But it is not known in detail. I doubt that mainly some nipple size change can be very important when not a full gynecomastia is present. But again all facts are not known here. Your way of counting your risks seems doubtful. Besides if a cancer form is rare it does not become very probable just because it's risk increases. Prostate cancer is 50 TIMES more common among Swedish men than among Chinese, Japanese & Korean men! But more men in Sweden still die from cardio-vascular causes than from prostate cancer!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.