Breast Cancer/Male Nipple Question

Question
Hello....

My husband is 62 years old. For the past couple of days, he has complained of his left nipple being irritated and sore.  Today, he noticed a small amount of liquid discharge coming from it. It does look red and slightly swollen. There are no lumps or swollen lymph nodes that we can detect. Of course, our first concern is cancer. His mother and sister both died of female cancers.
It is Friday evening so we have to wait through the weekend to make an appoint anyplace which we fully intend on doing.

Do you feel this is cause for alarm?

(He does not jog nor did he suffer an injury of any type.)

Thank you so much for any insight.

Answer
Male breast cancer exists but is extremely rare. There are literally hundreds of female cases for each male case. Paget's disease of the nipple (cancer in the nipple) is not common even among women. Even LESS so among males. It is far more likely that this is a skin infection/inflammation than a cancer. It's rather sudden appearance supports that. But since this is not sure he still should let a doctor check him! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.