Breast Cancer/Aldactone

Question
I was recently put on a blood pressure medication Aldactone (spirinolactone) by my family doctor. I have had breast cancer in the past and am wondering if this medication is safe for me to take as I have read conflicting reports as to whether or not breast cancer patients should take this medicine. I would like your opinion. Thank you.

Answer
I have checked a number of studies and the only conclusion I can reach is that at this point in time there is NO sure evidence suggesting that this medicine may increase your risk of breast cancer. The fear that such a connection could exist seems to be based rather more on speculations than on hard facts!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.