Breast Cancer/breast cancer

Question
scan report
scan report  
QUESTION: Hello sir,
I am from tamil nadu.. my mother-in-law is having breast cancer.  We have found that two days back. She was have that tumour for more than two years. But she didn't tell us. Now she got little pain in that we went to doctor. He suggested to take us mammogram. I have sent the report of that. Please check and tell. How can I proceed with the treatment.

ANSWER: Dear Priya,  I am not at home so I can not read your message on my computer. Instead I am using my IPad. Unfortunately you have sent me the report upside down so it is - at least for me - impossible to read it. When I turn the IPad the picture also turns so it stays upside down. Please send the picture again in the correct orientation!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

scan report
scan report  
mammogram
mammogram  
QUESTION: Sorry for the inconvenience. I have sent the report now properly. Please read that and make it clear. What problem she has.

ANSWER: Thanks! Based on the reports you have sent me it is evident that she is a clear cut breast cancer case with the primary tumour in her right breast. There are some signs that her cancer may have spread to the lymph nodes in her right armpit. Since she seems to have had her cancer for a considerable time that would not be surprising. Based on these facts I do suggest the following. Tumour marker tests should be done so that we have a base line of the levels of these markers. Then I do suggest s surgical removal of her right breast including the lymph nodes in her right arm pit. After that scans of her skeleton, lungs and liver to see if there are any other signs that her cancer has spread. After that appropriate radiation therapy and possibly also chemotherapy and perhaps hormonal therapy depending on if her cancer has hormonal receptors or not. If her cancer has spread to her lymph nodes but as far as we can see no further I would still insist on chemotherapy. If it has spread further that should also be done. I do hope for the best possible outcome!

QUESTION: Thank u so much sir. The procedure is going on. We are taking treatment at CMC vellore. They prescribed us to do chemotherapy. If its not spread to the other part . Will surgery completely cure her? Or we have to take some precautions.

Answer
If if has only spread to her lymph nodes - at present we do not yet know if it has spread even that far - and if it has not spread at all she MAY be cured. To do that a combination of surgery and radiation therapy is needed. If it has spread to her lymph nodes - which is likely - it is a stage 3 cancer and chemotherapy MUST be added. A cure is still possible but less likely. If it has spread further than that it will be a stage 4 cancer. Such cancers are at present not curable but they may be controlled by chemotherapy and perhaps hormonal therapy. That is all I can tell you. Surgery is also needed to avoid some complications with regards to the local primary cancer.
Good luck!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.