Breast Cancer/Simple Ovarian cyst

Question
Hi Dr Nordquist,

I have been having Lower quadrant pain and after a internal Sono have been told that I have a 4.5 cm simple cyst.
I asked my dr to do an MRI thinking it would give me certainty that it is a simple cyst, which it did.
The MRI report read simple cyst at 5.7 cm x4.8

1) What is the percentage that this could be malignant? ( I am 45 with mirena IUD in)

2) Why the difference in size by different modality?

I was told if it doesn't go away in 5 weeks after repeat Sono then I will require surgery.

3) if it doesn't go away or gets bigger is that more likely to be cancer?

4) Can  mirena Iud contribute to cysts?

Many thanks!!!!!

Answer
1. The risk is VERY small but I can not give you an exact number. I doubt anyone can.
2. Because they are different modalities. They "see" the reality in different ways.
3. Yes but it is very unlikely that that will happen. It is also a statement given to avoid any legal complications.
4. This is something you have to ask your gynecologist. Not part of my work or my expertise here.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.