Breast Cancer/Breast Cancer (HER2Positive)

Question
I have HER2 Positive (aggressive) breast cancer. I'm wondering what a PEP scan is, NOT a PET scan. I have paper work with with an appointment for a PEP scan on it, I've have CT scans before but I've never heard of a PEP scan?? Is it because I have several tumors all over my body, not just in the breast?? If you could answer this for me I would GREATLY appreciate it!! I didn't notice it until after I left my oncologists office or I simply would of just asked him. Thank you for ANY help you can give me as it's really starting to scare me not knowing what I'm going in or up against.

Answer
A PEP test or PEP probe is related to a PET scan but it is not a scan. The same basic technique for measuring positron emission is used but instead of making a scan (= a picture) you only measure the positron emission from one single point. This in order to measure the intensity of the emission - can be important in order to find out how valid these numbers are.  I do hope this explains it! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

I obviously did not explain myself well enough! But you told me you knew what a PET scan is so I took it from there. It is clear that you really do not know what a PET scan really is. So I will start there and making it as simple as possible even if that means that the explanation is not fully complete. A PET scan is made by giving the patient a radioactive substance - by injection or by mouth. The substance used is a substance known to end up in those structures or processes you want to investigate. So there are several different possible substances. And you select the one that is best for doing the check up you intend to do. With a PET scan you scan a part of the body you want to examine or even the whole body making a picture of the same. So you get a picture showing WHERE this substance ends up and also to some extent how much of it that ends up in different places. With a PEP probe you basically use the same method. But you do not scan so you do not make a picture you only measure how much of the substance that ends up in a special location that you have chosen - one point. This is more a test of function than of structure. I do hope you have understood this better?!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.