Breast Cancer/symptoms management in very advanced stage of breast cancer

Hello doctor Nordquist,
My aunt had breast cancer that has now secondaries in backbone and liver and I guess elsewhere too. She is in terrible condition and I suppose has been prescribed sedatives. She had chemotherapy and radiation done a year ago.
I was hoping if you could highlight other management practices that could offer her more relief that would be very helpful.
I also wanted to know about using baking soda for my cousin who also has breast cancer in very early stage and is going through chemotherapy.

Thanks and regards

Baking soda is in short completely useless and nothing I can recommend! With regards to your aunt the only things that have any proved effect are radiation therapy, chemotherapy and maybe hormonal therapy. There are unfortunately NO other treatments that I can recommend (treatments with positive effects based on clinical and scientific objective evidence and without too dangerous side effects - most medicines with effects also have side effects). If they in this situation will be effective enough is however a quite different matter. Based on your description I can unfortunately not be very optimistic. This advice is also for your cousin though in her case I do need much more information to be able to give more specific advice.

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.