Breast Cancer/Abnormal Mammogram

Question
Hi, thank you for your time and willingness to answer questions. My Mom, who is 72 years of age, noticed a large "dent" under her left breast approx. 3 weeks ago. I took her to the Doctor who ordered a mammogram and an ultrasound. The mammogram showed nothing, however, the ultrasound shows a suspicious mass (the Radiologists words). She is scheduled for another ultrasound on Monday, where they will do a biopsy.

My question is this: Does cancer hurt? I know that is vague but my Mom said that there is a pain in that breast but it is not always there. It hurts pretty bad today but she said yesterday it didn't hurt a bit. Of course we are thinking the worst and I am literally worried sick, though I don't show my fears to her.

While I realize that we won't know for certain until the results are back, any generic information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your time.

Take care,
Diana

Answer
Pain is not a common early sign. It is not common until quite late but based on what you have told me I can not call this as something that may be "late". It is possible but not certain that this will turn out to be a cancer. We will have to wait for the result of her probably ultrasound guided biopsy. Please do keep me posted!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.