Breast Cancer/Treatment for Older Women

Hello Dr Nordquist,
My mother is 75 years old and has recently been diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer. She was treated for Stage IIb breast cancer in 2011-2012, but the cancer is now showing in her hip bones (left and right), spine and in some fluid around the right lung.
She had a full-hip replacement on her right hip in January, which is how the original metastases was found. She then had radiation on the right hip. She is now undergoing chemotherapy - she had her first treatment this week.
I'm not sure exactly why I feel this way - for various reasons I think - but I am starting to feel that because of her age, she may not be getting the attention and help that she desperately needs right now.  I understand that her cancer is significant, but I am not OK with her being left to kind of fend for herself. I am watching the doctors closely and jumping in and bothering people and becoming a pest, but I don't really care about that. She is my mom.
Can you give me any advice on how to handle my suspicions or what I can do in this case?
Thank you so much Dr Nordquist

She is not that old only 5 years older than I am. And I am also a prostate cancer patient apart from being a cancer doctor. The treatments you describe are standard treatments for patients in her situation. Without knowing her treatment in more detail I can not in any way support your suspicion that her treatment is in any way neglected. And I see no reason why it should be. She is given chemotherapy. In fact that treatment is quite expensive. So as far as I can see she is given good treatment. To be able to reach any other conclusion I would need much more - and different - information.

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.