Breast Cancer/Breast cancer phobia

Dear Doctor,
I am a 20 year old girl who is haunted by the idea of developping breast cancer. Growing up my mum had breast cancer. I recently found out as well that my aunt was sick and she probably had cancer too.
With my mum already suffering from cancer, I have always been told to be carefull from what i eat and such but all i want to do is live a normal life without having to worry about this risk of developing  this desease.

I would like to know how likely is it for me to develop breast cancer? and should take any precautions?

If it is true that both your mother and your aunt - I suppose you mean a sister of your mother - have had breast cancer you probably have an increased risk of developing this illness yourself somewhere along the path of your life. However at your present age your risk is probably low but will increase with increasing age. In certain cases the genetic background for this situation is known and can be determined so that your personal risk can be evaluated. But so far not all such genetic conditions are known even if our knowledge does increase with time. I understand that you want to live a normal life but the fact remains that with this background you do need to take certain precautions. You should have your breasts regularly checked - say once a year - starting when you are in your  30ies. These checks should include x-ray mammography, MRI breast scans and ultrasound breast scans. Dietary rules are probably less important. Find a good breast surgeon where these tests can be done and stick to it! Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.