Breast Cancer/Breast MRI and period on Mirena

I am 30 and was sent for a breast MRI a week ago due to having PALB2 and CHEK2 genes, as well as a very strong family history of breast cancer. The MRI showed 2 "nonmass enhancements;" one was 1 cm and round, the other was 5 cm and linear. Prior to the MRI, they wanted to know the first day of my period, however I have a Mirena IUD and have not had a period in months. But 5 days after the MRI that showed these abnormalities I began spotting (not a true period though). Could my abnormalities be from the spotting (I read that the week before a true period can cause more abnormalities to show up) or does the Mirena prevent the fluctuations in hormones that leads to breast changes on MRI? I am scheduled for another MRI and biopsy in a week but was curious if the results would be different since I had spotting recently. Thank you for your time and response!

I doubt very much that these changes can be due to your "spotting". But it is good that these findings are to be followed up and that biopsies will be done. The pathologist report of these findings will most probably tell us what they are and if indeed there is any connection to your hormonal situation and with much more certainty than I can do. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Breast Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience in diagnostics and treatment of breast tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps.You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy.