Breastfeeding/Long breastfeeding sessions...

Question
Dear Sally,
I have a month-old baby boy, whom I am breastfeeding (and giving bottled breastmilk to on occasion), but breastfeeding consumes most of my day and energy, and it is becoming very frustrating... An average breastfeeding session takes about an hour and a half, whereas my baby can gulp down 110ml by bottle in 10 minutes. I think that he latches well, but appears to be a confused eater; some moment he is hungry, the next moment he is disinterested and sleepy, another moment he is gassy and fussy, and then starved and anxious. Should I accept this as a reality or can I make breastfeeding shorter and more effective?
I already saw lactation consultants, doctors, give him gripe water and mylacone for gas relief. He is overall happy, not colicky and doesn't cry often, although I don't know if he is as satisfied by breastfeeding as he is with bottle feeding...
In addition, his stool is recently more green, which led me to suspect that he may be getting more foremilk and less hindmilk.
Thank you so much for your time and help.
Best,
Natalie

Answer
Dear Natalie,

First, congratulations for giving your son the best start in life by breastfeeding him!

It sounds to me as if you and your baby are still just going through the normal adjustment and learning phase of breastfeeding. In the early stages, breastfeeding is more work and takes more time than bottle feeding. Then usually at about 6 to 10 weeks, but sometimes sooner, this reverses and breastfeeding is easier. It sounds as if your baby gets sleepy on the breast and may even get a little fussy. Bottle feeding just takes less effort for him. Naturally, this is frustrating for you. Green stools are common and not a concern. If your baby is thriving and gaining weight, and if you can afford to take the extra time for the feedings for the next couple of weeks or so, I would suggest that you stick with it and relax during the feedings (there's no law that says you can't read or watch TV during those long nursings) and see if time, along with your baby's increasing maturity, helps the process along.

Good luck!

Sally

--------------------------------
Sally Wendkos Olds
Author, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING: Olds & Marks, 4th edition, September 2010, published by Workman Publishing, and available in most public libraries, bookstores & La Leche League chapters.

Breastfeeding

Sally Wendkos Olds